Contact: +254735 744 252
Department: Nursing Education, Leadership and Management and Research
|MSc. Nursing||University of Nairobi||2015|
|BSc. Nursing||University of Eastern Africa, Baraton||2010|
|Advanced Pediatric Medicine||Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital||2009|
Areas of Expertise
- Nursing Education, Mental Health
- March 2020 – To Date: Lecturer – Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- September, 2018 – February, 2020: Tutorial Fellow – Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- 2013 – August, 2018: Tutorial Fellow – University of Eastern African, Baraton
- 2012: Nursing Officer – Nairobi West Hospital
- 2011: Nursing Officer Intern – Embu County Referral Hospital
Other University and National Responsibilities
- Chair of Department- Nursing Education, Leadership and Management and Research
- In-charge of short courses at the school of Nursing, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- 2015 – 2016: Volunteer provider’ of community mental health nursing services at Kamili Organization.
- 2013 – Present: Member of the health council at SDA Church, Satellite New-Life, Nairobi
- Githui, S. N. & Wambui, W. M. (2019). Nurse Intern’s Satisfaction with the Clinical Learning Environment: A Cross sectional Study. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7(6): 164-169. http://www.journalijar.com/article/28449/nurse-interns-satisfaction-with-the-clinical-learning-environment:-a-crosssectional-study/
- Wambui, W. M. & Githui, S. N. (2019). Work Environment and Job Satisfaction among Nurses in an Urban Maternity Hospital in Kenya. International Journal of Social Science and Technology, 4(3): 33-44. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/334066808_Work_Environment_and_Job_Satisfaction_among_Nurses_in_an_Urban_Maternity_Hospital_in_Kenya
- Githui, S. N., Chege, M., Wagoro, M. C. A. & Mwaura, J. (2018). Barriers to Screening Pregnant Women for Domestic Violence: A Cross Sectional Study. Journal of Community and Public Health Nursing, 4: 207. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6078416/
- Mbithi, D. N., Blasio, O., Antony, A., Githui, S. N. & Wambugu, P. (2018). Assessing Barriers to Implementation of Nursing Process Among Nurses Working at a Tertiary Hospital in Kenya. Researchjournali’s Journal of Public Health, 4(1): 1-11. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323014565_Assessing_Barriers_To_Implementation_Of_Nursing_Process_Among_Nurses_Working_At_A_Tertiary_Hospital_In_Kenya
- Githui, S., Chege, M., Wagoro, W. C. A. & Mwaura, J. (2018). Nurse’s Perception on Non-Disclosure of Intimate Partner Violence by Pregnant Women: A Cross-Sectional Study. International Journal of Contemporary Research and Review, 9(1): 20198- 20203. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15520/ijcrr/2018/9/01/403
- Odhiambo, R., Orinda, G., Okumbe, G., Josep, L. K. & Githui, S. (2018). Behavioral Factors Associated with HIV Transmission among Women attending a Postnatal Clinic at a Rural County in Kenya. Kenya Journal of Nursing and Midwifery, 3(1): 30-35. https://www.kjnm.co.ke/index.php/kjnm/article/view/Odhiambo,%20RA.,%20Orinda%20G.,%20Okumbe%20G.%20%20et%20al.%202018
- Githui, S., Odhiambo, R., Ombete, W., Wambugu, P. & Mbithi, D. (2017). Sociocultural Risk Factors Associated with HIV Seroconversion among Breastfeeding Women at a Rural County in Kenya. International Journal of Recent Research in Interdisciplinary Sciences, 4(4): 31-35. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323771504_Sociocultural_Risk_Factors_Associated_With_HIV_Seroconversion_among_Breastfeeding_Women_at_a_Rural_County_in_Kenya
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- April, 2019: Attended 22nd Annual Scientific Conference of Kenya Mental Health Nurses Chapter in Kisii. Presented a paper entitled “Online Sexual exploitation of Adolescent and Children”
- April, 2016: Attended 19th Annual Scientific Conference of Kenya Mental Health Nurses Chapter in Kitale. Presented a paper entitled “Assessment of barriers associated with screening pregnant women for intimate partner violence from nurse’s perspective at Pumwani maternity hospital, Nairobi
- May, 2015: Attended 7th Annual Scientific Conference of Kenya Psychiatric Association in Eldoret
- October, 2014: Attended Research Proposal Writing Workshop facilitated by University of Nairobi and University of Washington in Machakos
Awards, Scholarships and Recognitions
- Oct. 2019: A beneficiary of pilot and feasibility grant from Healthy Lifestyle Institute of the University of Pittsburgh for the study: Socio-demographic predictors and cardiovascular correlates of age-related cognitive impairment in mid-life and elderly community dwelling Kenyans.
- 2016: A beneficiary of Korean Government Scholarship.
- 2015: A beneficiary of research grant from Partnership for Innovative Medical Education in Kenya (PRIME-K) of College of Health Sciences University of Nairobi, a grant from National Institutes of Health (NIH) – Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI
- 2014: A beneficiary of Gandhi Smarak Nidhi Fund Scholarship Award
- Jacob Kigo, Kirk Erickson, Moses Mwangi Gitonga, Simon Nderitu Githui, Chaeryon Kang: Socio-demographic predictors and cardiovascular correlates of age-related cognitive impairment in mid-life and elderly community dwelling Kenyans.
- Miriam C.A. Wagoro, Irene G. Mageto, Simon Githui: Nurses’ perspectives of patient dignity in mental health nursing: Mathari hospital, Kenya.
- Miriam C.A. Wagoro, Greenbaum, Jordan, Irene Mageto, Simon Githui, Michael Ager, Joyce Odhiambo: Reduction of Online Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (OCSA/E) in Kenya.
- Simon Githui, Park Wan Ju: Community based model on stigma reduction for patients with mental disorders.
- Neurocognitive disorders and Gender based violence
Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies
- Nursing Council of Kenya
- National Nurses Association Of Kenya
Any other talent that could contribute to the University agenda (Examples: Re-known Mentor, Sports person, Master of Ceremony e.t.c)